Friday, May 4, 2012

Childhood Favorites (Part I): No-Bake Cookies

I remember my mom making these yummy treats for my school lunches, and they're still a favorite. At Halloween, we would substitute chow mein noodles for the oatmeal and call them chocolate-covered spiders! They also bring back memories of one of my trips on the schooner Manitou where they were made on the wood-burning stove. The best part about this recipe is that it doesn't involve turning on the oven.

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
3 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked

Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, milk, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla and peanut butter, stirring until smooth. Drop by teaspoonfuls (quickly, before they set!) on wax paper and cool until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment